Fairfax Student Visa Lawyer

F-1 Visas for Nonimmigrant Students

Foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States for education may be eligible to receive a student visa. These nonimmigrant visas allow students to remain in the U.S. as long as they are enrolled in a qualifying school or university and are passing their courses. There are two types of visas available for nonimmigrant students: F visas for academic students and M visas for nonacademic students.

F-1 visas are available for the following forms of education:

  • University or college
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including a language training program

M-1 visas are available for vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program. F-2 visas and M-2 visas are also available for the spouses and children of student visa holders.

Obtaining a Student Visa

The first step in obtaining a student visa is to apply for and be accepted to a qualified school, university, college, or program. Once you have their sponsorship, you can complete and submit the DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Generally, your nonimmigrant visa will be issued up to 120 days before your courses start. You may not enter the United States any earlier than 30 days prior to the date your classes start, however. Speak with a Fairfax attorney as soon as possible for guidance through this process.

Find a Student Visa Attorney in Fairfax, VA

For neary 30 years combined, the attorneys at Langone & Fasullo, PLLC have helped individuals and families immigrate to the United States. Attorney Anthony Fasullo is bilingual in English and Spanish and is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Our firm has the knowledge and experience to answer your questions and guide you step by step as you seek to pursue an education in the United States. Contact us as soon as possible for more information!