Family Visas

Fairfax Family Immigration Lawyer

Immigration to the United States can be a much faster process when the immigrant is sponsored by a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder. The U.S. government shows preference to the family members of citizens and lawful permanent residents so that they are able to immigrate faster than individuals who have no sponsorship. Either way, it is extremely beneficial to have the counsel and representation of an experienced Fairfax attorney.

Family Members of U.S. Citizens

If you are looking to obtain a visa with help from a family member who is a citizen, a lawyer can help you through each step. The U.S. citizen must first file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. The immigrant must file a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support to prove that he or she has adequate financial support for immigration and is not likely to depend on the U.S. government for support.

U.S. citizens can sponsor the following family members for green cards, as well as for K-1, K-2, K-3, and K-4 visas:

  • Spouse
  • Fiancé(e)
  • Children
  • Sons and daughters who are married and / or 21 and older
  • Parents
  • Siblings

Family Members of Green Card Holders

Green card holders can also sponsor their family members, but only a spouse and unmarried children. Green card holders may not sponsor married children, a fiancé(e), parents, or siblings. The application process requires the green card holder to file a Form I-130 along with proof of their resident status and evidence of the qualifying relationship.

Green card holders can sponsor the following family members for green cards:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children of any age

Consult a Family Visa Attorney in Fairfax, VA

Langone & Fasullo, PLLC can provide the counsel that you need as you seek to obtain a family visa, whether you are a U.S. citizen, a green card holder, or a family member looking to immigrate. Our firm has nearly 30 years of combined experience, so don't wait. Contact us today!