Fairfax Child Support Attorneys

Confidential Guidance Through Your Divorce

After a divorce, you want to ensure that your children have the financial support necessary to attend good schools, get proper medical care, and have what they need to live good lives. Child support is a non-taxable, non-deductible payment to help support your child or children after you have separated from your spouse.

Finalizing support payments can be complicated. Contact Langone & Fasullo, PLLC to discuss your case with a Fairfax divorce lawyer.

How the Court Determines Child Support

If you and your spouse are able to agree on a child support arrangement, a judge will not have to get involved. However, if you are unable to agree, a custodial parent can petition the court to determine the child support amount according to the State of Virginia’s guidelines.

These rules take into account:

  • Each parent’s income
  • The support of either parent or other children
  • Day care expenses
  • Healthcare costs
  • Costs of living
  • Child custody arrangements

The court may also take into account your child’s preference or situation, including any special needs, the standard of living enjoyed by the child or children during the marriage, and any debts incurred during the marriage for the benefit of your children.

Sometimes the court may deviate from the standard guidelines. This can be as a result of monetary support from other family members, imputed income for those who are voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, and a child’s extraordinary medical or dental expenses.

Failure to Pay, Modifications, & Termination

If the paying spouse fails to make payments, you can petition the court to request back payments or an income reduction order for wage garnishment. Child support can be modified later on if you can prove a “material change of circumstances.” Once a child reaches the age of 18 or is able to financially support him or herself, child support payments end.

Need help determining your expenses, circumstances, and the needs of your children? For legal assistance and advice, contact our firm at (703) 391-1161 to schedule a consultation today!